The U.S. government has just announced a new visa program that will facilitate legal immigration for people from countries with low migration representation. The 2025 Diversity Visa Program for Immigrants will take effect on October 5th, 2023.
This program aims to promote diversity among immigrants coming to live and work in the United States. Up to 50,000 permanent resident visas will be granted each year to people from countries that have had less than 50,000 immigrants in the last 5 years.
Visas will be randomly assigned through a lottery system. Interested people must meet certain requirements, such as having a high school diploma or at least 2 years of work experience in the last 5 years.
Here we explain in detail who can and cannot apply for this new diversity visa:
Who can participate in this program?
- People native to countries with low migration representation in the last 5 years. Priority will be given to countries with less than 25,000 immigrants.
- People who have completed high school or have at least 2 years of work experience in the last 5 years.
- Spouses and unmarried children under 21 can be included in the application.
Who is not eligible for this program?
- People native to countries that have had more than 50,000 immigrants in the last 5 years.
- People who have not completed the equivalent of a high school education in their country.
- People without minimum work experience of 2 years in the last 5 years.
- People illegally in the United States.
- People previously deported from the United States.
Central, Caribbean and South American countries that qualify for the visa lottery:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Central American, Caribbean and South American countries that do NOT qualify for the visa lottery:
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
The registration period for the 2025 program will be between October 5th and November 7th, 2023. Applicants must complete the online form on the official program website. Winners are expected to be selected in May 2024.
This new diversity program presents a great opportunity for people from different parts of the world to legally migrate to the United States. Make sure to check if you are eligible and apply during the registration period if you wish to have a chance to obtain permanent residence. Good luck!